February 14, 2006

Act as if it were impossible to fail

I have pulled the trigger and sent my two-week notice to the current employer. It was a painful and, after three years in a unique American company here in Moscow, bold decision. I am betting on successful H1B application later this year and for me quite a lot is at stake.

The idea is that I will join the local outsourcing center of the company applying for my visa and work on the project on which I am to be employed in the US. From the technical standpoint this is a sensible move on my side. I will be able to refresh technical skills in the areas I have not worked with for a few years, learn the business domain and get up to speed in general.

On the flip side, the local contract conditions are less comfortable than I used to have in my current company and the project itself is a more or less typical MIS developed by an IT department of a huge corporation, nothing revolutionary at all. Taking into account the risk of not getting a visa this year the deal seems to be psychologically stretching (I listen to Brian Tracy's records twice a day to keep my spirit high and it helps).

Probably one day I will look back at this time, laugh nervously and change the subject :) but for now the excitement of this adventure and surmounting of my fears are engaging me more and more on a daily basis.