January 18, 2007

WTF?

I am truly inclined to pronounce this obscene but progressively more relevant question. I am unsure whether this is my personal luck or a sign of something more general .. Anyway ..

I hope to get my visa today. The Embassy calls to tell me that my employer has decided to revoke their offer. A nice lady explains me how to get my passport and visa refund back. Adrenalin explosion. Immediate certainty in their new mistake. Multiple mental WTFs. I ask her who signed the paper and from which company it was received. She happily names my new employer. "It cannot happen to me". I state my absolute disbelief and remind her about my different employers, petitions and visas. Now she is less sure and promises to double-check in an hour. She calls back in fifteen minutes to apologize. Surely enough they confused the two companies and they will stamp my new visa soon. Quite a remarkable quarter of an hour I shall say :)

Tomorrow I'll have my last chance to get my passport back this week and fly over the weekend. I vividly remember being in the same position exactly a week ago so the only certainty in my relocation plans is that they are up in the air.

The curious thing is that ostensibly they are supposed to read all the paperwork they have. How challenging must it be to look at it before drawing any conclusions? Did they even bother to open the file before calling me? Now I believe in all the stories I hear from colleagues in NYC (lost credit card applications, six 30-minute-on-hold phone calls necessary to solve an issue with a phone company). Something is seriously wrong and I am not sure what to make of it aside from the fact that Merphy's Laws invariably hold true.