July 30, 2007

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit

This beautiful Cadillac slogan fits perfectly the situation I found myself a few months ago. A company I was going to go to the US with filed a lawsuit against me. Yeah, it is as weird as it sounds. People shake their heads when I tell them about it - nobody ever heard about such a precedent. One of the little known peculiarities of this country is that anybody possessing spare cash may file a frivolous lawsuit against you without any need to substantiate their claim. Even more curiously, such a villain does not even face the risk of punishment when his claim is squashed in the court.

The story is still in progress and the final lesson the life intended to teach me is not entirely clear so far. I doubt I shall conclude that people are untrustworthy (even if they are from a notorious NYC burrow). Probably there is some Buddhistic wisdom to be appreciated - like there are bad guys out there and one should not sweat small stuff because their karma will get them eventually. Alternatively, I might be supposed to take a little trip and slightly modify configuration of someone's facial bones.

And then it could have been my real mistake to go after the low-hanging fruit. Instead of aiming for the stars I persuaded myself that the only way to follow my dreams was through the mud and voluntarily allowed nasty people affect my life. I might have worked harder on looking for better people to go with in the first place.

Finally, this whole adventure could be a perfectly healthy example of `no pain, no gain' philosophy. The fact that I managed to get back control over my life while a few less lucky guys failed to do so (and painfully so, from what I know) could indicate that I learned something from this life.